AFF Annual General Meeting
At the 2021 Australia Fencing Federation Annual General Meeting held via teleconference on 30 May 2021, the member states elected Seamus Robinson, Garry Webster, and Angela Bensted to the AFF Board. This is Angela’s and Garry’s second term in office and Seamus’s first. Seamus, is an experienced fencer who knows what it takes to achieve international results from our uniquely different geographic position.
The AFF President, Vince Elias, warmly thanked, outgoing Board member, Chris Nonis for the work and support on the AFF Board. His wise counsel and gentle approach, particularly his commitment to bettering fencing and all those involved in the sport, ensured that the Board lived up to its strategic goals. Furthermore, Angela Bensted has stepped away from the Communications role, which includes running the AFF social media accounts and website. Angela spent a significant portion of her time managing the communications portfolio and her contribution in this regard to the sport with be very sorely missed.
The newly constituted Board convened and elected Garry Webster to the position of Vice President and appointed Paul Glasson to the Board. Paul is a businessman with extensive experience promoting Australian business ties with China. Paul’s family are active within the fencing community, with both his children competing nationally and internationally.
The member states also adopted the 2020-2024 Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan defines the AFF’s focus over the next four years as an organisation with a view to ensure that we:
- foster, promote and control the sport of fencing in Australia;
- provide opportunities for participation in fencing by all members of the community;
- achieve a high and consistent standard of coaching and officiating;
- promote fair competitions and support the health and safety of everyone involved in the sport;
- promote Australia internationally as a successful nation in fencing;
- increase the awareness of the sport among the general public, business community, the media and government;
- provide efficient and effective administration of the sport; and
- maintain the long-term financial viability of the AFF.
Read how the AFF will address the main areas of focus in the full 2020-2024 Strategic Plan here.