2018 FIE Congress
The 2018 FIE Congress was held in Paris on Saturday, 8 December 2018.
The key decisions made at the Congress are as follows:
* The 2021 World Cadet & Junior Championships wiill be held in Cairo, Egypt.
* The 2021 Veterans World Championships will be held in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
* There is currently no candidate city for the 2021 World Championships.
* The FIE points awarded for results at Zonal Championships have been reduced – Zonal Championships are now worth the same number of points as a World Cup (previously, they were multiplied by a factor of 1.5).
* From 2020, the FIE Executive Committee intends to release a competition calendar for the following 4 year period.
* The proposals to remove the white light for foil and reintroduce a (modified) fleche for sabre were not voted on as these proposals currently envisage tests of the proposed changes only and therefore do not require any amendment to the Rules at this stage. However, the FIE announced that the proposed changes will be trialled at specified events (primarily certain Junior World Cups) during the 2018/19 and 2019/20 seasons. Following these trials, the FIE will decide whether to propose changes to the Rules.
* The proposal to amend the rules to address non-combativity was approved. In summary, this change provides for yellow, red and black cards to be awarded in the event of non-combativity. However, a card will only be awarded to the trailing fencer or team (or to both fencers or teams, in the event scores are equal). Also, the cards for non-combativity will be distinguished from cards awarded for other offences and will not trigger a 60 day suspension.